The James Bay Community Project provides the following kinds of food assistance to those who need it. Please note that this food is provided by generous donors for those who are not in a position to provide such food for themselves.
- Donated bread of various types and sizes may be picked up on Tuesdays after 10 a.m. and after 1 p.m. Periodically other baked goods are also available. There is a limit of two items per person, to ensure that as many people as possible can benefit from our donors’ generosity.
We thank the many companies that donate food on a weekly basis:
- Thrifty Foods, Starbucks and 6 Mile Bakery who donate bread and baked goods.
- Coldstar Freightways very generously donates vegetables, fruit, meat and dairy products from its customers which in turn is donated monthly to each Neighbourhood House including James Bay Community Project. This food is vital to provide soups and nutritious foods for our programs.
- Level Ground Trading Co. donates coffee for all our programs.
- During the year we also get donations from individuals, the James Bay United Church and the Mustard Seed that we can hand out to people in need.
Periodically we offer Community Kitchens and/or Food Skills for seniors, immigrants, youth or low income families.
To find out more about the work of the Coalition of Neighbourhood Houses on food security please click here.