Family Centre Guidelines for Re-Opening
Welcome Back! We’ve missed you and are so happy to be back.
There are lots of changes to note:
Program Shift: A small scale pre-registered program will replace the universal, everyone welcome ‘drop-in’ playgroups. We are sad that we will not be able to accommodate all the families that we have been used to seeing every day. Until the current Covid 19 situation shifts substantially, we anticipate some disappointment for families who may not be able to attend due to high demand for very few spaces. We ask for your patience and understanding as we make every effort to do the best we can under these challenging circumstances. Please let us know if there are other ways we can provide support to you.
Signing Up for Groups:
Visits will be by ‘appointment’ where parents sign up for a ‘day/time’. We will email the SignUpGenius link to our current families and have it on our JBCP website for easy access. For now, we are asking families to sign up for not more than one group per week to start. We will expand the number of groups if all continues to go well. The sign up calendar will also serve as a Contact Tracing list if needed.
Will be limited to 13 people (children and Deb or Nancy included). Please consider signing up with friends who you already spend time with to limit the number of people in your family’s bubble.
Groups will be limited to one hour from 10-11 AM.
Families will enter through the JBCP front doors on Michigan St. and leave strollers in the usual place. Everyone will be asked some basic health questions before entering and be asked to wash their hands at the art sink (right near the front door). Sanitizers will also be available at the entrances to the Family Centre and by the sliding glass doors.
Self-Directed Health Screening:
Families will be asked to complete a Self-Directed Health Screening at https://bc.thrive.health/ when they receive their ‘playgroup appointment’ reminder 24 hours before. It is imperative that families screen themselves and their children for any signs of illness. If you and/or your children are experiencing any of these symptoms, you cannot attend JBCP groups:
- Fever, chills, runny nose, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, new muscle aches or headaches, sore throat, gastro-intestinal symptoms, conjunctivitis (in children)
- If you have travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days
- If you have been in contact with a person who tested positive for Covid 19 in the last 14 days
- If you or someone you live with has been tested for Covid 19 and are awaiting results
When you enter the Family Centre, you will be asked to sign-in stating that you (and your children) are not experiencing any Covid 19-related symptoms. Although, we are taking all Covid 19 safety measures that we can, please remember there is still some risk in attending a group program.
The BCCDC and Worksafe BC recommend the use of face masks for adults when physical distancing is not possible. Please bring a mask with you if you have one. Disposable masks will be available if you forget yours at home. Children will not be wearing masks.
Adults will be asked to physical distance (2 m apart) when possible. Squares are marked on the floor as a visual cue for adults to take note of the safe distances. No one will be required to stay in these squares, of course. Young children will be circulating as usual (as per childcare regulations/expectations for this age group).
We will sanitize before and after groups. Families will also be asked to spray the washroom areas and diaper area with available sanitizer before and after every use (faucets, flush handles, door knobs, soap dispensers, diaper table top, diaper pail lid, etc.)
Signs Posted in the Family Centre:
- Reminder that People May Not Enter if:
– Fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, gastro-intestinal symptoms
– Have travelled in the previous 14 days
– Have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid 19
- Please Respect Physical Distancing
- Covering Coughs and Sneezes
- Occupancy limits: 13 in the Family Centre (including group facilitator)
- Masks will be recommended for adults
- Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces
- Self-Directed Health Screening
Indoor Air Circulation:
Please bring warm clothing because we will use the outdoor play space as much as possible. Windows and both doors to the outside will be propped open with baby gates in place to maximize air flow in the room. It might get chilly.
No Access to Kitchen:
Due to there being multiple staff members in the building who are going in and out of the kitchen, please note that this area will be off limits.
No Sharing of Food During Programs:
There will be no food served for adults or children during groups. Children’s snack cups will be prepared in advance and families can take them ‘to go’.
Toys/Books/Plastic Chairs to be divided up and stored:
Almost all toys/books/dolls/puzzles have been separated into 6 plastic bins. Each group will have access to one bin per group. After use, toys will be boxed back up and stored untouched for at least 7 days (closer to 10 days). The next group will have a fresh set of ‘toys/books’ to play with. There will also be a basket for mouthed toys for immediate (or post-group) sanitizing. Large toys that are left out (train table, beads, garage, etc.) will be sanitized after every group.
Outdoor toys and climber will be washed after each group.
We are so sorry to say but, for their safety, our wonderful JBCP volunteers will be paused for now. They will be missed.
Family Centre Staff:
- Staff will complete ‘’Self-Directed Health Screening’ when entering the building for the day
- Staff will stay home if feeling ill with any Covid 19-related symptoms (fever, new cough, etc.)
- If staff become unwell at work, they will put on a mask, inform the ED, go home and self isolate if they show any Covid 19 symptoms
- If a staff family member is sick and showing Covid 19 symptoms, staff not come in to JBCP and will self-isolate at home for 14 days
- If groups need to be cancelled, families will be notified by email as soon as possible.